From This is My Milwaukee
Press Release, 11-26-2008
(internal links added)
- Milwaukee Tourism Commission: Milwaukee Tourism Commission Launches Major Internet Campaign At ThisIsMyMilwaukee.com
- (M2 PressWIRE Via Acquire Media NewsEdge)
- Citing the grievous failures of previous tourism efforts, the newly-formed Milwaukee Tourism Commission (MTC) announced today the launch of its major "new media" campaign This Is My Milwaukee (ThisIsMyMilwaukee.com). Funded by private investors, the initiative seeks to supplant the city's obsolete tourism efforts with a modern, internet-centric approach.
- "The media landscape has changed; billboards and bumper stickers don't cut it anymore," said MTC President and CEO Larose Burton. "Our city needs a robust internet presence that the existing Milwaukee tourism groups just can't provide."
- The centerpiece of the $1.3m campaign is ThisIsMyMilwaukee.com, which features a short online film designed to propel Milwaukee into the YouTube age. The video offers a hip and irreverent look at Milwaukee that anyone can appreciate-families, young professionals, teens, even current and former residents.
- The This Is My Milwaukee campaign will enable the Milwaukee Tourism Commission to replace VISIT Milwaukee as the city's premier marketer.
- VISIT Milwaukee, formerly known as the Greater Milwaukee Convention & Visitors Bureau, was founded in 1967.
- "VISIT Milwaukee has been bogged down in red tape since the beginning," said Mike Russo, Vice President of Development at the MTC. "Because they're beholden to City Hall, they don't have the independence required to run a good campaign. The numbers don't lie-VISIT Milwaukee has failed."
- "Mike can be pretty hard on VISIT, but it's true-our city needs a new approach," said Michael Lewis, Communications Director at the MTC. "This Is My Milwaukee is the kind of campaign that gets noticed today. If you don't understand new media, you don't stand a chance."
- The Milwaukee Tourism Commission intends to build ThisIsMyMilwaukee.com into an internet content destination. As the campaign develops, users will flock to the site to watch videos, make profiles, check sports scores, and chat about all things Milwaukee.
- "This video is just the first wave for This Is My Milwaukee," said Burton.
- "We're working hard to rebuild our city."
- ABOUT THE MILWAUKEE TOURISM COMMISSION
- The Milwaukee Tourism Commission was formed in 2007 by entrepreneur Larose Burton, with support from private investors. The Commission seeks to revitalize the City of Milwaukee through innovative multi-media operations. Its ongoing projects include the This Is My Milwaukee tourism campaign, a teen leadership summit, and a Champion Dynasty Fund to support the production of Milwaukee and Midwestern films.