From This is My Milwaukee
Mars Madison's Diary
- A red book written by Mars Madison and retrieved from the Businesswomen at the end of the Central Park Event.
- Relia's Hi-res scans of the postcard handed out by Joey: (front), (reverse)
- These are much larger png (lossless) versions of the jpgs above.
- BostonBeats4 from Unfiction is in possession of the book.
- The message from the Central Park Event that led to the ice-cream parlor where thebook was retrieved read:
I MADE A MISTAKE WORKING HERE, BUT I'M TOO DEEP TO QuIT 888 @ 8 AV FOR BUSINESS AND EVEN SOME PLEASURE PHASE TWO NOW BEGINS <3 MM. Puzzle solved by arranging the notes in sequential order, each note had a letter on it.
- The book contains 18 pages, the first 12 are unencoded (pages 1-6 above), the last 6 are coded (7-9 above), the rest of the diary was torn out. The coding method on each pair of encoded pages is different.
- In case of loss, please return to: MM
- As a reward: $20 DD
- Wanted to start a new journal because a lot has been going on. I haven't kept a diary since Wichita so I'm probably a little rusty. But I feel like if I don't keep track of these days and make sure my thoughts are organized, I could end up making some bad choices. Also I still don't know too many people around the city, so this will make a good substitute for social interaction. ha
- This is not an easy town to find work. I've been able to do some freelance stuff here and there but I'd prefer something a little more steady. Although I have to admit, knowing my way around machines has really started to come in handy. I went to an information session about treasure hunting. But it really doesn't seem like a very easy field to break into.
- Thinking about taking my application down to Blackstar. They get a lot off ill will in the city but frankly stability in a time like this is appealing to me. Sure they're a little on the menacing side, but if everyone in Milwaukee would spend a few weeks wandering the desert like I did, I bet they'd have a greater appreciation for what "menacing" really means. (I still have nightmares about the creep!)
- Stupid, stupid, stupid. I've been trying to meet up with some of the so-called rebels. Supposedly the biggest group, the Medical Front, has a semi-legitimate way of life and is always looking for people who are mechanically inclined.
- Long story short, another group called the Snake Charmers said they could introduce me. Big mistake, should never have fallen for the whole anti-establishment thing. Never even got a meeting with (the Front?)
- Going straight to Blackstar tomorrow and seeing what work they can give me.
- Found a job in communications at Blackstar!
- Pretty easy so far (3) and I've even made a friend or two, starting with my boss, Ms. Leroux. She's really friendly and a little bit older (ha ha, my type).
- We're all working really hard on some new public informational campaign. Not sure what it's for yet... pretty important though, measured by the level of secrecy.
- Oh and guess who's the head of the Communications Department?
- Terry Nanny.
page 7 (p13-14)
- Turned out to be references to the grid cells from the table on pg.26 of A Reasonable Haven, where the cells represented 25 letters, A-Y, numbered top left to bottom right.
MAYBE IM BEING PARANOID BUT IM GOING TO START ENCODING THESE WORKING ON PROPAGANDA FOR INDEPENDENT POWER TRIUMVIRATE WENT OUT WITH LIPPS A E DRINKS AT JMC HAD GREAT TIME
page 8 (p15-16)
DOUBTS. TERRY HAD A MEETING WITH US FOR I.P.T. IT'S A THREE PERSON BOARD TO DICTATE ENERGY POLICY GOING OUT WITH LIPPS TO CELEBRATE THE NEW ACT MM
- The first letter of each box in the three columns constituted the code, the alphabet was laid on them row-wise (three letters per row) - hence the large number of Fs due to "Febrizzio's". Thanks to Anonymous AntipoJamesDean and Relia.
page 9 (p17-18)
- Was decoded right after page 7 in Morse, line breaks caused some confusion here but answer:
MUST DO SOMETHING. BS CAUSED OUTAGE SECRETLY AS PROPAGANDA.
- BS = Blackstar.